Licorice Tea (Glycyrrhiza glabra) Natural Remedy
This article is all about organic licorice tea and its health benefits, side effects, how to make it and where to buy this amazing tea. Licorice tea is the one of the best herbal teas on the market today because of its rich glycyrrhizic compound. This compound is powerful for soothing gastrointestinal stomach problems. Licorice can be found in US but mostly grows in Europe and Asia.
Why Drinking Licorice Tea
In ancient China, licorice tea have been used for dozens of purposes, including healing stomach ulcers and leaky gut. The name “sweet root” comes from the Greek word meaning that is sweet but in the same time very healthy. The sweet taste of licorice tea comes from the glycyrrhizin compound and is considered being 50 times sweeter than raw sugar.
I have written articles about licorice root and its health benefits and medical uses. You can read the full article here: DGL Licorice Root and Medical Benefits
22 Health benefits of Licorice tea:
- Healing Ulcers- Licorice is great for healing stomach lining and increase saliva secretion
- It can boost immune system because of its antibiotic, fighting viruses, eliminating cold and flu symptoms
- Eliminate sore throat and bacterial infection
- Liver protection and successful in fighting against hepatitis c
- Helps deal with PMS and menstrual problems like cramps, irritability, bloating and breast tenderness
- Adrenal support by stimulating glands
- Can help lose weight because will regulate stomach digestion and constipation
- Helps patients to relief asthma attacks because of its antispasmodic compounds
- Helps with problems like chest infection and bronchitis
- Stop chest pain and wheezing sounds
- Helps people to fight fungal infections and yeast infections
- Licorice tea is good for vaginal thrush, endometriosis and Candida infection.
- It can help you heal your acne, cuts, burns and skin allergies
- It is recommended to be consumed when people are suffering from kidney and bladder problems.
- Treat acid reflux disease, GERD, heartburn and leaky gut symptoms
- Natural remedy for constipation
- Helps with everyday stress by increasing cortisol levels and also helps anxiety by soothing the nervous system
- Good for people with diabetes, natural sweet taste of licorice is fantastic for reducing blood sugar
- Prevents heart disease limiting the LDL bad cholesterol levels
- Stimulates adrenal glands and regulate the hormones levels
- Exceptional for mood swings and depression because they can stimulate the adrenal glands
Licorice Side Effects And Proper Dosage
Because of Licorice rich compound and high concentration of glycyrrhizin there can be many side effects sometimes called licorice toxicity. Today, many pharmaceutical companies have created licorice products that are glycyrrhizin-free. This means we can use them without suffering from the side effects, but is always advisable to speak with your doctor and read the product label before consuming it.
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center overdose of licorice that contains glycyrrhizin compound can lead to adrenal hormone problems. This will create increased blood pressure. The studies have shown that if people are taking over 20 g of licorice each day can experience high blood pressure. People with pre-existing conditions like heart disease, blood pressure and kidney problems need to have doctor consultation before start drink the tea. Anyone that wants to drink licorice tea its better every day it is advisable to product like DGL licorice supplement that have glycyrrhizin removed. Look at our Review for best, safe licorice products.
You can read more about side effects from this website: www.umm.edu
Dosage of Licorice
The licorice dosage can vary from person to person and is very important to seek professional help from your doctor that knows your entire history. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center adults can make one cup of tea with 2 tbsp of organic licorice root. For children the dosage is different and should not be given to an infant or toddler. The dosage for older children should be proportional with child weights and should be one third of the adult dosage.
How to make it
To make the tea use around two tbsp of the root per one cup of water. You can boil the water and root together and reduce the heat and simmer it for one hour. After that, use your favorite cup and strain the tea from the root. Your drink is now ready. This tea can be served cold, so its safe and you can refrigerate it with no problems.
Where to Buy Organic Licorice Root Tea
Today licorice root is a common ingredient in many tea blends, but finding a pure licorice root tea can be a difficult task. On internet, there are companies that offer a wide selection of pure organic licorice root but you can’t trust them all. Licorice tea can be a great addition to any herbal tea collection. If you wish to enjoy the taste of real licorice, then our Review section will definitely help pick the right one.